Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I Think I May Be Losing It...

Okay, so last night I had a diversity paper due for my Organizational behavior Class. Can I tell you how I don't think the paper I wrote was what my professor was looking for? Yeah, can we say I was angry? How about I let you guys read the first paragraph and you tell me what you think:


If you are not a white, heterosexual male in today's society you are at a disadvantage in the business world. Anyone else is seen as a subordinate group and members of subordinate groups "often encounter more prejudice and discrimination in the workplace than do their counterparts." (2006, Winter) The reason for this is that white heterosexual male culture is considered the norm in America. They are the standard to which everyone is measured against. And if you are not a white, heterosexual male, you can never measure up.


From there I went on about norms and deviants and the Willie Lynch Letter and it's affect on African American Society and how slavery still exists . Jesus Lawd! I promise you my hands were typing but I couldn't believe what I was writing! It was crazy to me! And being that my teacher is a white heterosexual male, I am 99.99 percent sure that he is going to be offended.
With the week I have had with his class, his feathers getting rustled really doesn't bother me all that much. Besides, I have come to realize that white society chooses to be ignorant and not acknowledgedge what is right before their eyes. I'm guessing they have adopted the mentality that if they are ignorant to the ongoings of the world today, that they don't have to acknowledge certain injustices that they see. All in all, my paper was directly indirect in saying that there is no diversity in the business workplace. I'm sure he'll have a lot to say about that. I am looking forward to my teacher's comments. They should be interesting, to say the least. Am I losing it by actually writing the paper? Who knows. But I am pretty positive that I have given Professor U something to think about.
CiaO!

SebineDareau

No comments: