Friday, February 09, 2007

Bernadine...

Well first and foremost, I would like to say Happy Black History Month to all my African Americans. Here in this lovely country we do adhere to the 'one drop' rule, which means if you are light, bright, and dag on near white (such as myself) but have a drop of African American blood running through your veins, then you are an African American. (Sorry to bust the bubble of all of those hopefuls living in denial about your ancestry. Whether you can pass for white or not, at the end of the day, you are still one of us.)

But I must say I am not a person who feels Black History should or could be celebrated in just one month. Every month for me and my family is Black History Month. American History is Black History whether or not society wants to acknowledge it. Being in a country for 400 years, its kind of hard not to become ingrained in its fabric, ya know?

Anywho, I had the privilege of watching 'Waiting to Exhale' last night, again...for the millionth time. While it isn't my favorite movie (that spot is securely held by G.I. Jane) but there are parts of the movie that I simply adore. At the top of that list, Bernadine.

"Get yo' SH*T and GET OUT!"

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED WHEN SHE BURNED ALL HER HUSBAND's STUFF! See what happens when you push a black woman to far? Your feelings end up getting hurt. Bad.
Hopefully men of all races will take heed to this should they ever marry a black woman. Every woman, has a bit of Bernadine in them. I know I do. She is named 'Simone' and we don't like for her to come out. Even I get nervous when she makes an appearance b/c Simone is not the most rational individual. It is through much prayer that she doesn't come out often. Thank You Lord!

I found this video on YouTube. It's Bernadine losing her mind to Beyonce's 'Ring the Alarm'. This is hot! So here it is ladies: A tribute to all women who have a bit of Bernadine in them, and what happens when you push us too far.

No comments: