Friday, September 09, 2011

Sebi's Movie Reviews



How many of you actually remember this TV show?  C'mon, I know there are a few out there?

I can still hear Jon Lovitz voice when he says his handle, "IT STINKS!"  Classic!

But Anywho, I've seen a few movies over the past few weeks (must be the hubby's influence :)) and I'd like to let lose on what I liked or didn't like about them...




First up, The Perfect Host...


This trailer had me hooked, line and sinker!  I mean who really says to an assailant, "You can't kill me, I'm having a dinner party!"  I couldn't wait to see this movie that was sure to have me entertained from beginning to end. So on that Sunday when my hubby needed his locks re-twisted, this was the movie of choice...

Until I actually watched it...

To be honest I'm really not sure what to think about this movie.  Its nothing like what the trailer portrayed.  NOTHING! 

SPOILER ALERT!!!  SPOILER ALERT!!!!
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
John isn't the bad guy like the trailer portrays. For that I was glad.  It kept my Clayne Crawford crush still in tact.  The money he stole was to save his girlfriend who was sick and had no medical coverage for medication.  He stumbles on to Warwick's place b/c he is trying to hide out.  

Warwick is KING OF THE CRAZIES!  Seriously...

Ya man has a crown,  a scepter and a cushy thrown...subjects too!  Those of which who are the guests at his dinner party. David Hyde Pierce hit the nail on the hammer with this characterization.  

There are some plot twists in the end.  One in particular, I just didn't see coming at all, but I won't give those away.  I was surprised by this movie, whether it was a good surprise or bad, I'm not sure...

Next Up...

 Something Borrowed.

We all know the premise.  A spin on the dreaded love triangle scenario with the main characters of Rachel (the good girl), Darcy (the wild, self absorbed best friend) and Dex (the hot guy - Shout out the parents of Colin Egglesfield!  Boy did that get that one RIGHT!) guaranteed to be a good time to be had by all.

The movie started out okay, and then it got messy.  And yes that was to be expected with this situation...dating a friend's ex is always bad business.  ALWAYS!  Don't matter how you slice it, but this...

Yeah...I just couldn't get behind it. 

Was Darcy self centered to the point of me wanting to throttle her?  Yes.  Was is obvious that Dex and Rache belonged together? Yes.  But for reason I just couldn't get behind the 'tortured couple.'   The end didn't justify the means.  Darcy didn't deserve to be treated the way she was, even if is as obtuse as they come.  And if Dex and/or Rachel had an iota of will power or brain power or something the movie may have played out better.

The only saving grace was Ethan.  Dear God I LOVED this character.   Ethan was my man fifty grand from the hot dog stand!  I loved everything about him!

On a Scale from one to five, I'd  give this two and half wine bottles, mainly because you'd need to consume that much alcohol to get through it in one sitting.

*shrugs* At least the book is said to be better....

And finally....Everything Must Go!

This movie was a pleasant surprise.  This is the first time I've seen Will Ferrell do drama of any kind and it was good.  He should do more of it.  It was a nice change of pace to see him act like something other than a jackass.

Nick Hasley (Ferrell) is a alcoholic whose life literally turns to shit in one day.  He loses his job only to come home and find his personal belongings on the front lawn of his house.  His wife is leaving him, took his money and locked him out of this house.

And this is all in the first five minutes of the movie.  From there we see the phases Nick goes through to get his life together.  In the process he befriends two neighbors Kenny and Samantha.  From then on its all about Nick's interaction with these two for the most part.

The movie does not have a 'happy-go-lucky' vibe.  You literally see how alcoholism destroyed Nick's life.  But what the movie does do is show that true change and putting ones life back together happens in itty-bitty increments...and letting go of things past.

An awesome lesson for anyone, at any age to learn.  And for that I give this movie  three and a half stars.  I'll make it four since CJ Wallace, son of the Notorious BIG, played Kenny! He didn't do half bad either.


 So these are my movie reviews.

Until next time!

Sebine

No comments: